Loomis (formerly, Pine, Pino, Smithville, and Placer) is an incorporated town in Placer County, California, United States. It is part of the Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Roseville Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 6,733 as estimated by the US Census in 2015. It shares borders with the city of Rocklin and the Census-Designated Places Penryn and Granite Bay.
The Placer post office opened on the site in 1861, changed its name to Smithville in 1862, then changed it to Pino in 1869, and in 1890 the Southern Pacific Railroad finally decided on Loomis. The railroad and Post Office found that Pino was confused with the town of Reno, hence the name change to Loomis. The name Smithville honors L.G. Smith, who was one of the town’s most prominent leaders.
Loomis takes its name from one of the town’s pioneers, James Loomis. At one time, James Loomis was the whole town—saloon keeper, railroad agent, express agent, and postmaster. In the early part of the 20th century, Loomis was the second largest fruit-shipping station in Placer County, Newcastle California, just 6 mi (9.7 km) east of Loomis, was considered the largest.
Loomis remained part of unincorporated Placer County until December 17, 1984, when the Town of Loomis officially incorporated. The Town was in danger of being annexed by its neighbor Rocklin and the residents voted to incorporate to preserve local control, partly on the issue of preserving the “small town” character and historic structures such as the High Hand and Blue Goose fruit packing sheds which sit between Taylor Road (a segment of historic Highway 40) and the Union Pacific Railroad tracks.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.